Creating or letting go of habits can be a real challenge. Sometimes we need all the help we can get. One of the easiest ways I’ve found is through mindset shift with 3 Biblical Truths that remind you to tap into God & all the blessings he wants for you. Freeing you up to make healthier choices that will help you lead the happy, active, vibrant life you really want & that God really wants for you.
The Biblical Truth that resonates most with people is that You Are a Temple of God’s Holy Spirit. (1 Corinthians 3:16).
Yes! God lives in you! He loves you so much he chooses to live with you, in the very body (Temple) he blessed you with.
A comforting reminder when you’re trying to create new habits and need that immediate strength or in some cases downright courage to honor your body by forgoing that extra cookie, or to just put your shoes on & go for that walk.
You don’t need to do anything special other than to tap into the God inside you! He’s right there!
Easy? Yes. But not always so simple.
So what can you do to tap into that deep place where God dwells inside you?
In the moment, when you need him the most to stay out of the freezer, to take that 30 minutes and move your body, to open your devotional or bible app before you go to bed instead of scrolling through the news, Facebook, Instagram, or that new mystery you just can’t put down?
11 Tips to Tap into God Throughout Your Day
Over the years I’ve learned several tips & tricks to start & maintain new habits. I also never cease to learn from others. Here’s a short list to get you thinking about what you can do tap into that place deep inside you where God is present. Things you can use in the moment and throughout your day to free yourself to make the healthy choices you really want to do and walk away from the ones you don’t want to do.
- Place a sticky note on that bag of chocolate chips (or whatever food calls your name)
- Choose a bible verse or positive affirmation to repeat over & over throughout the day (I am a child of God, I can do everything through him who strengthens me, thank you Lord, I love you Lord, etc)
- Write that positive affirmation or bible verse with your non-dominant hand 10 times
- Place positive affirmations, bible verses or inspirational quotes all around your house & office
- Listen to Christian music
- Hum your favorite Christmas song or other hymn
- Place your shoes, workout clothes or whatever you need in a bag & take it with you to work so you can change before you leave work & hit the trail for a walk on your way home to have an afternoon walk with Jesus.
- Gently rub/massage your ears when a craving hits. There’s several acupressure & vagus nerve endings there. Vagus nerve stimulation takes us out of that Fight/Flight/Freeze mode & physically relaxes us. Soothing your worries & rubbing in God’s love & reassurance.
- Take some slow deep breaths. Breathing in Jesus’s peace & exhaling any worries or things on your mind, making your exhale at least as long or longer than your inhale. (My guided meditations are great for this. Here’s one to try: 3rd Biblical Truth ~ You Are a Temple of the Holy Spirit
- Make a to-do list & cross those things off as you go. Review it every night & give thanks to God for all you did do that day.
- Put a note in the bathroom or the bedroom to remind yourself of of what you want to read before you go to bed.
Thoughts to Ponder or Journal About
- What else can you think of?
- Which strategy works best for you?
- What really lights you up when you think about doing it?
- How can you remind yourself to practice it & make it happen?